I woke up this afternoon to discover that the internet is
out. I need my coffee and computer time,
so I’ll blog a little. This new year is
moving as swiftly as I suspected it would.
I am now in my third week of school, and I have my first day of clinical
on Thursday. I am very excited about
it. I will be working with my hospital’s
Palliative Care Program. They offer
support to patients and families facing life-altering or life-limiting
illnesses. It is a much-needed service for
families in crisis trying to handle an emotional situation with little medical
knowledge and muddling through a complicated healthcare system. I would someday like to progress from bedside
nurse, but I don’t really have any interest in being a nurse practitioner. This might be a good fit for me. I look forward to finding out.
I tend to get the travel bug this time of year. It is cold and gloomy, and planning a trip
makes me oh-so-happy. Matt and I went
skiing a few years ago, and I have always wanted to go back and take the
kids. The only problem is that skiing is
so expensive. I received an email about
a homeschool ski class in North Carolina that was the least expensive ski
package I’ve ever seen. It was too good
to pass up. We are going the first week
in February. We are planning to drive up
on Tuesday, spend the night in Boone, NC., attend a snowboarding class on
Wednesday morning, and spend the rest of the day on the slopes. I hope the kids enjoy it.
Those plans didn’t come as easily as you might
think. Every marriage has its
issues. In my marriage the issue is that
I love adventure, and Matt is a homebody.
I realize that it might not sound like a big deal, but for me it
is. It is something that we regularly
come to an impasse on. I remember
hearing Dr. Phil saying that if your sex life is good, it is about ten percent
of your relationship. If it is bad, it
is ninety percent. I’m thinking it is
the same with this issue. It comes up
ALL THE TIME. I feel like I have a need to go new places and do new
things. Matt feels just as strongly
about not going new places and doing new things. How can we stay together and both be happy? I guess we just compromise. We don’t do nearly as much as I would like,
and occasionally he ventures out of his comfort zone purely to make me
happy.
Matt doesn’t want to drive 5
hours each way for the ski trip, and he doesn’t think the kids will enjoy it as
much as I think they will. There is also
the added cost of appropriate clothing.
Matt initially agreed to the trip, and we planned to go this week, but
we realized he had oral surgery scheduled and Bonnie has her required CRCT 8th
grade writing test. When I cancelled, he
asked me not to reschedule. I
pouted. I really try not to pout, but
when I am disappointed, it is hard for me to hide my feelings. I didn’t stick out my bottom lip and refuse
to speak to anyone like a three year-old, and I didn’t have the goal of using
manipulation to get my way. I was just
bummed, and I couldn’t hide it. After several
days of discussion, he agreed to reschedule.
The kids were already excited about it.
I found Rosemary a ski bib at Goodwill.
I have gone by every Monday looking for pants for the other kids, but
I’ve had no luck. I’ll keep looking, and
we can always rent from the lodge if we have to.
Continued the next morning: I had promised the kids I would play a game
with them after everyone was bathed.
Just as the last one got out, the internet started working again. I had felt so out of touch with the outside
world that I couldn’t resist the urge to catch up on email and Facebook and such. By the time I got ready to play, the kids
were getting grouchy and wild. We played
two rounds of Uno, and it was miserable. Name-calling, slapping each others hands, yelling, intentionally tooting on a sibling. Horrid behavior.
It pains me when they are mean to each other. Before
we said prayers last night, I gave them a lecture about how families are
supposed to love each other and build each other up. We did an exercise where each child turns to
the sibling on their right, looks them in the eye and says one thing they love
about, appreciate, or admire about him or her.
After the initial sighs and eye rolls, we started. Afterward, they all asked if we could go
around in the other direction and do it again!
Wow! Everyone loves to hear nice
things about themselves and to be reminded that they are loved as a unique
member of the family. Here are a few excerpts:
Will to
Rosemary: “I love how you don’t always have to have your own way when you play
with us. If you want to play one thing,
and we want to play something else, instead of getting mad, you shrug your
shoulders and say ‘that sounds fun, too’.
It makes you fun to play with”.
Rosemary
to Bonnie: “I love your sense of
fashion. I love that you help me with my
hair, paint my nails, and let me wear your scarves”.
Bonnie
to Luke: “I know that we fight a lot and
that we are very competitive with each other, but that competition drives me to
be my best. It is often knowing you are watching me that
pushes me that extra little bit, and that is a good thing.”
Luke to
Will: “I love that you make friends
really easily. When we meet new people,
you are nice and fun, and they all say ‘Hey, that’s the kid I want to be
friends with”.
All
these comments were heartfelt, and a few of the kids had tears in their
eyes. I think Luke struggled though
because the other kids had to be prompted a little bit to remember the
wonderful things about him. It made me feel bad. He spends a lot of time fighting and pestering,
but underneath it all, he is a wonderful kid.
I will have to start noticing and pointing out the wonderful things
about him.
You are such a good Mom Mandi.
ReplyDeleteI loved this post Mandi. I am glad you guys are going skiing! I hope you post some pictures. I love the idea about having the kids say something nice about their siblings....good job momma!!!!
ReplyDelete