A few of
my favorite things:
Not
having to work
Spontaneity
Son Volt
I was
scheduled to work 7 out of 8 nights - Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, off Monday
to rest, then Tuesday, Wednesday, and
Thursday. On Monday night, I worked on
Statistics all night long. Seriously, a
few of the kids were already up by the time I finally crawled into bed on
Tuesday morning. It is not hard; it is just really time-consuming. There are lots of steps to every problem. To help pass the time
along while I studied through the night, I listened to music. I got stuck on Son Volt, which is a band I
listened to constantly 10-12 years ago. It just makes me feel good. I love Jay Farrar’s voice. Just out of curiosity, I looked them up to see
if they still play shows. Low and
behold, they were playing Wednesday night in Chattanooga. I had an overtime day and our census was low,
so I knew there was a good chance I would get called off either Wednesday or Thursday. I told myself if it happened to be Wednesday,
I’d find a babysitter and beg Matt to take me to the show.
I got the call around 5:00 on Wednesday evening. I called my parents, and they were happy to
keep the kids. I’m sure they were pretty
shocked, because if I ever need them to babysit, I line it up weeks in
advance. This is the first non-emergency
spur of the moment babysitting request I can ever remember making. But they seemed pleased to be able to do
their part to allow me to have a little fun.
Matt grudgingly agreed, and we were on our way.
The show
was good. Their new stuff is much
twangier than their old stuff, but it was good.
It made me feel nostalgic. And
most of all, it was nice to get out and do something fun on a call-off night
when otherwise I’d just stay up late watching movies.
That’s
about all we had going on this week. We
had overnight company a couple of nights, and Bonnie went to White Water one
day with her friend Andrea. Matt took
the kids to a magic show at the library one day. I worked 12 hours Thursday night and had a
3-hour cardiac class at 8:00am Friday morning, so I was actually clocked in for
16 hours! I slept until almost 8:00 last
night, so my weekend was late getting started.
After the kids went to bed last night, I poured a glass of wine and sat
in the hammock chair on the upstairs porch listening to music for hours. The solitude was beautiful. Today I slept late, took my second Statistics test, and then went for a run/walk/bike ride with the family.
Here are
a few pics and a video. If you choose to
watch the video, you’ll see a man in the front row in a pink shirt. I am an avid people watcher, and that guy is the one we made fun of the whole time.
We’re not nice people.
Our view from the balcony
Well dang. Something went wrong with my upload. I'll try to fix it. But for now, here's a cleaner version without the creepy guy bopping along.
Whhhaaaaaattt??? I love Son Volt/Wilco/ Uncle Tupelo! They all make me happy, but Son Volt is like...what I grew up listening to! So that's so stinking cool! Glad y'all got to go :-) You needed a date night fo' sho!
ReplyDeletethe song you posted is one of my favs, btw!
ReplyDelete